Friday, May 7, 2010

"Alofa" means Love

May is Asian Pacific Heritage month which is extra exciting because I am married to a Pacific Islander. Well, technically she is "afakasi" which means half & half... her mother is Samoan & her father is Caucasian. But we stay in touch with her poly side as much as possible. Even I like to think I am of the islands sometimes... even with my milky white skin and inability to shake my hips.


This is what I have learned so far since I have been a part of Rose's Polynesian family:
• Rice is a staple at every meal. Including breakfast and Thanksgiving dinner.
• Samoans can DRINK.
• A man dressed in a floral moo-moo is apparently the epitome of comedy.
• It is perfectly acceptable to wear a wrap-around to the beach instead of a bathing suit.
• The night just begins at 2:00am.
• A flower tucked into your hair completes any outfit.
• Playing board games with family becomes a serious, and dangerous, competition.
• Don’t make your mother angry. She is in charge.
• Big events are celebrated around an entire roast pig.
• Tattoos are not just for the rebellious.
• Coconut milk can be added to almost any dish.
• ABBA rocks.
• Raw tuna is “cleansed” with lime juice.
• Ukulele playing is a normal night of entertainment.
• … As is taking turns showing off new dance moves.
• …. And watching a fire dance in the front yard.


I feel privileged to have been exposed to another culture during my life. Before meeting Rose,I had never even tried a mango, let alone all the other crazy foods I’ve ingested over the years because of her. Now, I am considered one of the clan and even have my own Samoan nickname – Tolè! I wore a flower in my hair on our wedding day as a homage to her heritage and plan to incorporate more traditions in our reception. Maybe some coconut rice at 2:00am or a fire dancing performance to ABBA? The possibilities are endless...

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha... You rock Tole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You def have been hanging around us too long Tole. Hahahaa, I wouldn't have had it any other way sis-in-law ;)

    ReplyDelete